Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sydney still very much on the radar

Groin is improving quickly, so I'm hoping that the physio will give me the all clear Wed to start running again as opposed to initial diagnosis of 2 weeks rest.

Exercise for the week


Tues Bike 30 mins
Wed 4.25k run@5:15, 12:30 bike
Thurs Bike 45mins
Fri Bike 50 mins
Sat Bike 30 mins
Sun Bike 1h15 mins

Still working towards doing Sydney Marathon and banking on the fact that I tend to do my 2nd marathon for the year faster than the first. Sydney is a lot hillier than Perth so will end up going back to the tried and tested West Perth to City Beach course including Bold Park in the following weeks.

I've had a bit of thought about my training for Sydney and am looking at changing a few things
1) Make recovery runs a lot slower
2) Medium long runs at MP.
3) Some speedwork, once every couple of weeks.
4) More hillwork.
5) Couple of half Marathons to get into the groove of racing,drinking on the run from cups etc

I believe these are things I need to target in order to make Sydney a successful Marathon.


Planned races are WA Masters 1/2 Marathon on 2 Aug on flat course
City to Surf 1/2 on 30 Aug on hilly course

7 comments:

Epi said...

Good to hear!

I'm away next weekend but then will be keen to run Sundays on the old course (not sure what my racing aims will be yet)

I'll email you

Sling Runner said...

Good plan ! I think the 5 things you listed above should improve your marathon fitness.

Hope you recover soon.

trailblazer777 said...

sounds like a (good) plan to me...
well done on sticking with the bike most days this week, be patient, nothing to be gained by rushing back. That masters Half on the 2nd August sounds interesting, what course is it?
Right move to increase the hills work for Sydney, maybe come up to Darlington on a Saturday morning sometime, there are some good hills on trails and road up there...

homo said...

Sounds like a good plan. Just don't get overexited and jump into too much, too soon.

How hard to you want to run the C2S HM? Want to pace me to sub-1:30?

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you are on the road to recovery...Do you have your own TENS machine?

Biscuitman said...

Hi Clown, Do you have a specific multiple marathon program you will be following? There is a good one in Pfitzinger and Douglas's Advanced Marathoning. If you are interested we can work out a way of me getting a copy of that chapter to you.

Clown said...

Thanks Guys

Epi- No worries, catch you in a couple of weeks.

TB-Masters is from Burswood Park, I think at 8am but will check.

Homo- Prob will aim for 1.28 to 1.30 for C2S Half as want to run at similar pace to first half of Marathon, will then run back to West Perth, so happy to help pace you.

Gunner-Have a TENS Machine, very handy.

Biscuitman- Thanks for the offer, have the same book and very lossely follow it.

Cheers