Sunday, July 5, 2009

Perth Marathon 2009

3:07:20

Didn't quite live up to expectations on another glorious Perth morning.

Unfortunately tweaked my groin at the 14k mark, came from nowhere, old injury and then soldiered on over the last 28.2k to finish in 3.07.20. Everytime I tried to speed up, the pain intensified quite a bit and so much of the second half was run in disappointing 4:40km's as I tried to ensure a pb and Boston Qualifier. What it does do is reinforce how cherished a sub 3 would be.

Positives from the race was that I did 2 pb's 1:29:20 in the half(I know that's pathetic) but haven't raced it properly for over 2 years and a pb in the Marathon. Was also happy that I gutsed it out and finished my 6th Marathon and finished feeling pretty fresh. Also qualified for Boston next year so will def look at doing

Quick Race Report

Half 1:29:20
2nd Half 1:38:00


Ran with Epi up to 14k, 10k was hit in 42:00 straight and was feeling great, 20k was hit in 85:00, had to slow down and the half in 89:20. From there the rest of the race was a lot slower, although I still managed to reel in a few runners over the last few km's.

My one and only gripe today is of the drink stations, I know they're are volunteers but I put my drinks at every station bar the first 2 and was only given 2, which was realy frustrating. The rest I had to search for and at the 34k station, the 2nd female passed me and ended up beating me by a few seconds, maybe I need to rethink my drink strategy. Please don't take me the wrong way, I am thankful to the WAMC for a great event.

Congrats to Epi and Sling who both did pb's and 3.04's at Perth and Gold Coast respectively and to Homo for doing a 3.31. Nice meeting Gunner who did a 3.09 and TB finished with a 4.41 after streaking the field over the first couple of hundred metres. Well done to the Biscuit boys who finsihed 3rd in relay in 2.53 and to the CSG team who came in in 4.53.

I'm a bit sore at present but other that feeling great, having tomorrow off as a leave day so will just veg out a bit and then start some easy running prob on Wed.

So where does that leave me re Marathons? At this rate I'll need to do another 3 before doing sub 3. I've already spoken to Trace this arvo about doing Sydney in September and she is all for it and if that's the case will do the C2S Half as a buildup. Now just need to convice Epi to do the same.

Trip to the physio will be booked and hopefully can get some exercises to do to fix a couple of the problem areas which will boost my chances of another pb. I'm sure some pilates and core strengthening will be on the agenda. Should be able to start jogging again within a couple of days but will take it nice and slow for awhile.

Thanks to everyone who have been supportive in the comments on my blog.

Onwards and Upwards from here and I'm going to stay positive as these things happen for a reason and will be sweeter when the goals are finally achieved.

9 comments:

Epi said...

Sorry about the groin pain today - scary to think what you can run when you are only limited by your aerobic capacity.

I cant think about the next marathon yet - we'll talk later

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations Clown! a Pb is a Pb is a PB. And two in one day...very cool!

pity about the groin but thats cool about the BQ and hitting a new level.
good to see you out there In hindsight maybe Epi was only 30metres in front, but I didnt spot him for some reason this time...All the best with the Sydney plans I'd like to do the half there one year maybe..hope the physio can do the trick quick and well.. Congrats!

Biscuitman said...

Bad luck with the groin, especially when you were cruising aerobically. Congrats on the PB and the BQ. Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up at all - the logistics of a relay and getting around with the family in one car wasn't as straightforward as it seemed.

homo said...

Well done today. You could not have been blamed if you had pulled out when the groin struck.
So the result is even more impressive.
C2S half - yes, I'll be there, too.

DC64 said...

Tough luck, hope the injury clears quickly. That's a great effort when you're hobbled like that. One day you'll have that perfect marathon and you'll really crush it ; what Epi said. Hopefully the next one will be perfect for all of us...

Sling Runner said...

Congrats on the PB and BQ. Pity about the groin injury. Perhaps you should look at your shoes/orthotics. I had a groin problem during GC build-up, but since I ditched one of the shoes, it disapperared.

If you don't go sub-3 by the same time next year, maybe we can try to go for it in Perth together.

Biscuitman said...

"but since I ditched one of the shoes" ... Sling Runner - does that mean you hopped the Gold Coast Marathon? That's almost as far as the 30 Mile Hop!! (Tomkinson's School Days - Ripping Yarns)

Clown said...

Thanks guys for the comments. 7 is my lucky number so sub 3 will just have to be Sydney :). I'm very determined to get this done.

Sling, thanks re the shoes, one of my orthotics was changed a while back for that very reason. I have a feeling it may be lower back related as I've been having some issues there, anyway hopefully the physio will suss it out.

Anonymous said...

Clown,

Congratulations on your PB although it wasn't quite what you were chasing.
Nice to to meet you in person and perhaps when all the planets line up we might be able to catch up for a run some time in the future.

Gunner