Sunday, August 2, 2009

Playing it Safe

Pulled out of the half marathon at the halfway mark of a 2 lap course after feeling a twinge again in the groin/adductor area, more precautionary than anything, more on run shortly.

Week in Summary 87.1k@4:38

Mon 7k@4:51

Tues 14k@4:23 incl 10k@MP

Wed 18.6k@4:50

Thurs 5k@4:54

Fri 13.4k@4:36

Sat 8k@4:41

Sun 21.1k@4:30 Started the Masters Half on a different course than I was expecting with the course being a 2 lap course. We commenced from Burswood through to Causeway, along the bridge and then back under, past the WACA to East Perth and then down to Barwon Park in Maylands and then back to Windan Bridge, under the bridge and then back to Burswood.

Felt comfortable running through 7k @4:09 and thought a couple of minute pb was on the way, however a slight uphill section and maybe pushing it a bit caused a twinge, so I backed right off and ran through 10.55k in 44:45 or thereabouts. Was unsure as to whether to do the second lap, so played it safe and decided to run purely on the flat and so ran to the Narrows and back at my new long run pace of approx 4:45 km and just enjoy the fantastic morning.

Positives from the run is that I got in some more MP running and a bit of practice out of drinking on the run out of the cups and I ended up doing the 21.1k in under 1h35.

Also did a couple of days of resistance training focusing on upper body,lower body and core with plenty of stretching included.

Have a couple of physio sessions booked for Mon and Thurs which is perfect and have spent a bit of time with the TENS Machine on today, so hopefully things are under control and another decent week should eventuate. I was planning on doing some intervals this week but I'll put that on hold for a couple of weeks and just concentrate on keeping the km's up.


Registered for Melb Marathon on Friday so pretty happy with that , my main dilemna at present now is what to do with City to Surf and whether doing the hills is a good idea as I'm a little gunshy at present, lets see how the next couple of weeks pan out.

The English weather is driving me crazy re the cricket as is Rudi's umpiring and the stupid Aussie selectors. I still think Clark should have come in for Hauritz and dumping Hughes was a disgrace, although I'm glad that North kept his place. Jeez the English bowled well, hopefully Hilfenhaus can get the ball to swing in a similar manner.

Damn Essendon, they always screw us over and tanked so the Eagles won today, now no Priority Pick :(

6 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

there goes that priority pick....
Fremantle can still get it though if we lose the last 4...
Well nice to see my wife,brother, dad happy with a blue and gold win ...

Looks like we are both entered in Melbourne my race number is 2589
One of My meter reading colleagues/mates (Matt) is doing it too, he did 3.31 in the Perth this year...
have to agree about the rain being annoying with the cricket...all sense of a contest has gone out the window at the moment...

agree with playing it safe...I was thinking about coming along for the half today too, but got busy helping my wife with our Jacobs 2nd birthday party prep, and glad I didn't now, given it went on a different course to the Perth Half...

I see the C2S as a training run/exploration run, just soak up the atmosphere, and explore the marathon...
think its going to be a steep learning curve for the organisers...

Great training week...well done!
Excellent first half of the 21.1k...

see you in Melbourne!

Anonymous said...

Clown,
Blow up Rudi I say.

Bet you are pissed about he the groin twinge, don't you just hate it when all you do is want run fast and you can't.

Biscuitman said...

Yep the City to Surf is a hard one. The Half is the hilliest course and that's probably the one you should do in a perfect world.

I think you can "upgrade" from the 12km to the half after registration if you pay the extra so maybe register for the 12km and see how you feel a week or so out.

Epi said...

Hopefully it was just a minor twinge and you'll continue the good progress. I thought I might have seen you out on part of my run this morning - now I know why with the two lap setup.

I'm volunteering at Womens Classic next week so will have to try to fit the long run in around it or even do a saturday am long run - if you are planning on testing out some of those KP hills, let me know!

I dont know what to think about the footy - even Tom Swift did some good things -I might have to take back all those bad things I've said about him. In the cricket, I see Watson's bowled one over so far - so an injury shouldn't be too far around the corner.

Sling Runner said...

I think you made the right decision to pull out. Better to be on the safe side since it is only your second week back from injury.

It's still a good week, solid mileage with a bit of quality running.

DC64 said...

Good choice to back down - with a bit of physio you'll be right quickly. Frustrating but just a hiccup I would think.

Rudi must go! The ball seems to have to be hitting the middle of middle halfway up before he'll give an Englishman out...