Sunday, August 16, 2009

Good dress rehearsal for Melbourne

Running in the rain and wind this week was a good test for running in Melbourne and I really enjoyed it, most evenings I was a lone figure out there.

Week in Summary 122km@4:44

Mon 20km@4:47
Legs and Stomach Strengthening

Tues 16.1k@4:37 3:15 Marathon Pace run and felt great
Upperbody and Stomach Exercises

Wed 16.3k@4:29 Buoyed by yesterdays run I decided to run a few km's at MP. Felt a slight twinge in the adductor, so used a recovery run of 2km in the middle so as not to push too hard.
1.8k warmup@4:40
8k@4:16 MP
2K@4:56 Recovery
2k@$:15 MP
2.5K@4:58 Cooldown

Thurs Physio session
8.05k@4:52
Legs and Stomach

Fri 19.06k incl 14.06k(1/3 Mrathon) at 4:26 Perth Marathon pace
5k@4:56 Cooldown
Deep tissue masage

Sat 8.5k@4:48 Second run in 2140's, found them a lot better than last time.

Sun 34k@4:55 Long run on my own on a humid morning,humidity ranged from 83 to 95% on the duration of the run with a little rain. Ran from home today and did a different route that included the Maylands Loop which I very much enjoyed. Still strugging with the adductor on the hilly parts but it is def on the improve which is promising. Ran well within myself and at the exact pace that I'd set out to do, so very happy with run.

Next weeks plan is to run around 110km as I move into the Lactate Threshold and Endurance Phase of the Program. I'll also continue with the strengthening exercises as I believe they are making a big difference and also have a physio session booked for Thurs

Still undecided re City to Surf, will make a decision by this time next week as to the plan. I'm still leaning towards a very slow half, taking it very easy on the hills and then run back to Perth to make it into a long run with no taper to occur at all.

Next proper race will be Freo Half in Sept and will try and give that a decent crack.

Great to see Danny Green have knock out his opponent in the 5th round, will we ever get to see a rematch with Mundine? I think it is becoming more and more unlikely unless Mundine is prepared to put on some weight and move up in divisions.

Loved watching the athletics last night and seeing the Bolt and his training partner Bailey cruise and joke in their race. I'm hoping all the big guns will make the final and then see Bolt blow them way in a 9.50 something.

4 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Rob - that's a great week, a long run + 4 x 16-20k midweek runs should bode well for the marathon.

trailblazer777 said...

Impressive week! awesome! Thats one very good piece of work in place for Melbourne...just got to build on it...
That 9.58 secs from Bolt was out of this world...I'm trying to get SBS2 on a bit for some of the world champs too...met a few more blokes at Lake Joondalup yesterday who are also doing Melbourne, so looks like there is going to be quite a few of us there...

Biscuitman said...

122k is great week - you must be feeling good. That's a base that should give you heaps of confidence in Melbourne.

homo said...

Pretttttty impressssive!!!
I do note that you say "very slow half" - glad to hear that as my running has been sh.t and if you want to pace me, you'd have to do it backwards with one leg tied up.

But: very nice to see that at least someone is having fun. On that base you will be looking very sound in Melbourne.