Monday, October 12, 2009

Pulled out at 12k

Only got time to quickly post but pulled out at 12k due to a foot injury that I felt on Friday for the first time. It came on fully at 10k and I continued for a couple of km but was getting progressively worse, was averaging 4:11's at the time (based on Garmin).

Km's Times 4:12,4:10,4:05,4:10,4:10,4:10,4:09,4:08,4:12,4:12,4:16,4:20

Inspirational speech beforehand by Deek and then we were away on a perfect running morning. Got into a good rhythm although adductor was annoying from the start but was manageable, the foot was causing more concern. The sub 3 hour pacer flew by me at 3km, not sure how they ended up going but he was doing approx 4:00's. Ended up running in a group which included a couple of Female state reps for Vic and NSW

Made the agonising decision to pull out after trying to run a couple of kms from 10-12k and hoping it would improve but instead was getting worse. A bit disappointed but know it's the right decision and have been limping quite badly since the race. Interestingly, both legs and feet have been quite swollen since arriving in Melb, maybe from extra carboloading :)

Great catching up with Sling for a couple of yak beers, congrats on the pb in the half. Also quickly caught up with TB, congrats on finishing your tenth Marathon, well done.

Maybe when the stars align and body is injury free the sub 3 may beckon,in the meantime I'll take at least a weeks rest and then may do some jogging before Nepal. Once back from there I may focus on some smaller races in the leadup to Boston.

8 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Great catching up with you Rob.

Perhaps a break will do you good, allowing the body & muscles to heal and regenerate itself. I heard that Kenyans take 2-3 months full rest after competitive season.

You will come back stronger than ever.

homo said...

That is a real pity - especially since it's something new that has popped up.

I hope you can get that narky foot under control.

For now enjoy the preparation for the trek and come back ready for prep for Boston.

Epi said...

No rest for you.

I've already planned some gruelling evening interval sessions in Nepal!

Biscuitman said...

Bad luck Rob - I hope you find out what the problem is and get on top of it quick.

Maybe take up cycling to maintain the fitness you have while not running. It seems to have worked wonders for Sugar

DC64 said...

That's awful luck - hope it heals quickly and you can focus on your Nepal trip ; you may need to be fairly fit for that! Sounds awesome though...

Anonymous said...

Mate,
sorry to hear about your injury. I have nightmares about that sort of stuff. I tried to find out how you went but was unable to find yuor name.

Hopefully Nepal will take your mind off it.

Gunner

Clown said...

Cheers Guys, hopefully 2010 will be a better year for me on the Marathon front.

trailblazer777 said...

hey all the best with getting the foot right. Must be disappointing...your splits for first 10k look right on target...well done on trying to stick with it too...it hurts when you know you are ready and injury an athletes worst nightmare takes it from you, but the best thing to do is take what positives you can, refocus, and start building again. Hope Nepal goes well.

Sure was an inspirational Rev-up from Deek at the start! Pretty cool having Kerryn McCanns son there too. I reckon I must have started pretty close to you. I thought the pace groups all started a bit fast, some discussion about it on CR threads, but the main thing is to use groups to your advantage not be a slave to them.

Sorry I didn't hang around long at the Transport, but I was pretty tired,hungry and dehydrated, as after I got my wife and 2 year old back to our apartment, I pretty much went straight out to meet up with Ewen and Aki, and was keen to get back to our apartment as I had been gone a lot longer than I'd planned. Was good catching up with other Cool runners and yourself there though. Hope you can come back to the Melbourne Marathon running festival again in future years, I hope to be back a few more times yet...
those gruelling evening interval sessions in Nepal at altitude should help to put any lingering frustrations to rest...hahaha...hope to catch up again sometime soon...Run on!