Sunday, July 6, 2008

Perth Marathon 2008- 3:09

Well another Marathon has been finished, my 5th and 3rd Perth and I've been lucky enough to post another pb. I'm also feeling pretty good at present which is a bonus as I know from past experiences, mainly my first two how bad you can end up feeling. Had the usual aches and pains and also have some small blisters but what would be a marathon without some of those. I think the short skins under the shorts certainly helped the hammies.

The aim all along was to do sub 3.10 and I was happy with my time of 3.09.10, although unfortunately I had to stop and go to the loo which cost me between 1.00-1.30.

Race report

Summary : 1st half 1.32.30 2nd half 1:36:40, all 10k times are based on Garmin which measured 42.5 km and times mentioned below represent Garmin km's.

Started a bit quicker than planned as I got into a nice rhythm early and there were plenty of people around and passed the 10k mark in just under 43 mins and then continued churning out 4.20-4.25 km's for the next few k's and then passed the 20k mark in just under 1.27.

The numbers started thinning out around the 24k mark and I was soon running on my own with nooone within a few hundred metres for what seemed like eternity and passed the 30k mark in 2.12. This section was the toughest in the race as the only motivation was to try and keep the sub 3.10 under control, however around the 34k mark started to reel in a few people and passed a no of people from then up until 40k mark which was hit in 2.58, Also had a young lady pass me with a sub 3.30 singlet around the 34k mark and she was flying, later found out her pb was 2.55 so don't feel so bad.

The last 2.2k was picking up the pace a bit to ensure 3.10 was achieved and was very happy to see Trace and then Henry at the finish.





Congrats to Craig on doing his 5th Marathon and doing a good time of 3.19 with limited training, I hope the recovery goes well and I'm sure we'll be doing some training and 10k's together in the near future and to TB for doing a 3.55.



Will take a few days off and then look at getting in a few 10k races in before year end. It is certainly something that I need to start working on ie regular speedwork if I want my Marathon times to come down.

4 comments:

Sling Runner said...

A big congrats Rob. I could see it coming. With your big mileage, sub 3 is just around the corner.

trailblazer777 said...

Congrats! great time! another PB is always good! You are flying!

All the best with hitting the speedwork! I'm curious about that accounting callcentre position
jontheroadrunner@rocketmail.com
see you around the races again
soon,hopefully.

homo said...

I agree with sling - that big 3 is about to go bye-byes!

Clown said...

Thanks Guys for the comments. I flirted very briefly with maybe trying to do Melb this year but I think I'll stick with my original plans.

If all goes to plan, sub 3 may happen next year.