Sunday, May 31, 2009

Record Month

Did a record no of km's for a Calendar Month with 465kms@4:31 average pace for the month of May. Have also now passed last years ytd total to end of May, so pretty happy with how things are going at present.

Week in Summary 90.15kms@4:26

Was plagued with some back and neck problems this week which resulted in some shocking headaches and no long run on Sunday. My deep tissue massage ended up concentrating nearly fully on back and neck as opposed to my legs. My massage lady has suggested some acupuncture be done, so I'll keep that in mind, if anyone can suggest a good acupunturist, if there is such a word, can you please let me know.

The focus this week was getting in some MP km's or faster and the pleasing thing was I did 4 days totalling about 43km at MP or faster, although I was hoping Sundays run was going to consist of about 20-25km at that pace. As a result of only being able to run late on Sunday afternoon and with bad lighting,only 14km was achieved at that pace, but seemed pretty easy.

Mon 10.55k@4:46

Tues 15.05k incl 2.05k@4:35 warmup, 10k@4:12, cooldown 3k@4:43

Wed 13.63k incl 1k warmup@4:40, 9k@4:13, 3.63k@4:47

Thurs 6.82k@4:41 Only ran late in the day, to try and free myself up a bit . Had shocking headaches most of the day and worked from home.

Fri 10k@4:16

Sat 15k@4:30

Sun 19.08k@4:20 incl 5k@4:32 warmup and 14.08k@4:15 Woke up Sunday with sore back and headaches, took some tablets and went back to bed. Felt better as the day went on and went for a run late arvo, MP achieved for the last hour.

Now I'm in a quandry, do I do Lake Monger 10k and go for a pb or do I get that larger run in at MP next Sunday?. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

5 comments:

homo said...

I'll give you a lawyer's answer: it depends.

1) is the Lake Monger pb part of your marathon preparation and will you have enough rest beforehand to make the pb happen; or
2) is it just one of these things that you would like to achieve, because you just might.

I suspect you asking the question means you already know the answer.

Have to say though, given the limitations this week, it was still a very good one.

Sling Runner said...

That's a difficult decicision to make. A hard 10k offers a different training benefit since the pace is faster than MP, both physical & mental. You have done lots of miles at MP anyway, so a different stimulus might be good.

Epi said...

I think you'll be fine either way. You are due a 10k PB, and there's no reason you shouldn't run it at Lake Monger

Biscuitman said...

If you can fit in a 27-28km (minimum) run on the Monday, then I would definitely do Lake Monger. There's no reason why you shouldn't (and lots of reasons why you should) capitalise on the shape you are in if it isn't going to compromise your goal marathon. As long as you can still get a decent long run in it shouldn't.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't do it if you can't get a long run in though as I think that you must get a long run in 4 weeks out.

trailblazer777 said...

its easy you run lake Monger 10k in a massive PB, soak up the adoration of the crowd for a few minutes and then set off for a an 18km warm-down...I added on an extra 10k? or so after the city to surf Half last year to get my 30k+ for the session. If the long run is very important, and you dont want to do a combo or double session (i.e. long run stratight after, in evening or on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then sure the 10k can wait for another day...
going well keep at it...