Sunday, September 12, 2010

In for the long run

Thanks guys for the advice re my question last week and after much deliberation, I ended up deciding to do a long run with faster finish, as opposed to doing a 10k race this weekend.


Had some good sessions including some intervals, tempo and long run with faster finish.


Week in Summary 112k@4:25

Mon 8.5k@4:42 40 minute easy run

Tues 17k@4:26 Main part of run was 5* 3 min at approx 5km pace with 2 min recoveries.

25 minute warmup 5.36k@4:40
5*3min with 2 min recoveries. Averaged 3:35 pace for the 3minutes(835m), averaged 4:47(417m) pace for the recoveries. Ran on the grass on the oval and conditions were quite windy and struggled to get into a proper rhythm as a result. The into the breeze was quite tough and nearly lost my hat on more than one occasion.
5.38km@4:45 cooldown.


Wed 10.55k@4:16

Thurs 18.35k@4:08 incl Tempo of 10.45k@3:55.Warmup of 20 minutes- 3.3k@4:33 including catching up with Biscuitman who was running 1k intervals.

Tempo of 41 minutes along the Penninsula course 10.45k@3:55 Struggled in the first 5k and averaged 3:58, incl a 4:04 second km. Turned things around in the 2nd 5k averaging 3:52, just started feeling better the longer the run went and this may have been in part to concentrating on 1 km at a time.
Cooldown of 20 minutes 4.55k@4:24


Fri 13.1k@4:40

Sat 31.5k@4:19 incl 12k@ 3:59 from 17k to 29k, last 4k at 3:55 and then 2.5k cooldown.

Long run with biscuitman that included running through Burswood, Ascot, Maylands, East Perth and South Perth.
The aim of this run was to finish strongly and also practice some race day things. Got up at 3.30 and had some bread and jam, as well as half a powerade. I then got up at 6.25 and had the rest of the powerade, a berocca and then met up with Simon for the run. Had a couple of very brief toilet stops at the 6k and 17k mark, prob drunk too much just before the run and used some gel bursts again and powerade, both worked well. Also ran in my ds racers again, my marathon shoe and these felt great.

At the 17k mark, it was time to do a fast finish 12k and we set off at a bit quicker than MP. We ran together for approx 7k and I was feeling pretty strong, whilst Simon was struggling a bit with his foot, so I pushed the pace a little harder just to see how I would go and managed to do the 12k in just under 48 minutes, last 4km were at 3:55 pace.

Pretty happy with finish, a good 2.5km cooldown topped off a good morning.

Sun 13k@4:40


4 weeks to go to Melbourne, I'm hoping for another 100k + week next week and then I'll start my taper.

Hope Sling and TB'S injuries are on the improve.

5 comments:

Epi said...

Great.

Dare I ask what you are aiming for? 4:00s?

trailblazer777 said...

Scintillating sessions there on Wednesday, Thursday, and especially the fast finish long run. Sure was! sub 4min per K then is pretty awesome. For sure that was worth more than another 10k race, and should be heaps more time to recover. However IMO probably your second best session (after the 31k) there in terms of gains, would be the Tuesday 3min intervals, that could give you a little bit of surge/something extra which could see you well under 3 hours maybe well under 2.55, dare we say 2.40's???!!! and 4.00's = 2.48...so I have to concur with Epi there. Maybe not quite there yet, but continue in that vein, and its quite plausible.
Also with the hat and the wind (i had similiar issue running out to the lighthouse in the 10k today, and I tightened my strap which did the trick, but I think also wear the hat backwards like a rapper dude, and it generally stays on better in the wind or go andy roddick style and jam it down hard so you cant see your eyes...hahaha.

trailblazer777 said...

oh and don't mention the word CATS or AFL to me this week, it fires me up too much at the moment...hahaha. the run is over for my mob this year...

Sling Runner said...

You are going from strengh to strength. Agree with epi that 2.50 is not out of the question. Km 17-29 at sub-4 pace without taper, that's what I call impressive.

Clown said...

Thanks guys.

Just hoping for a pb.