Sunday, August 1, 2010

Perth Masters Half

1:22:37

Perth Masters Half came 2nd.
Absolutely ecstatic with result, 3.5 minute pb and on no taper for this week, although last week was low due to illness. Didn't really know what to expect today as I'd also done a MP Run yesterday and my initial plans all week had been to do a hilly run Sat and treat today as a training run. Yesterdays plans were thwarted by waking up with a cracking headache and eventually got out mid afternoon and did a 8.5k run at MP.

Perfect conditions for running this morning, so I just thought I'd run how I felt.

Did a 4.5k warmup @4:23 and then an 8k cooldown at 4:40, so a nice way to do a long run :).

Felt very controlled and comfortable throughout the race, splits were very even. The guy who came 1st did high 1:19’s and Bjorn and Chris Maher did 1:24 something.

After the initial start I quickly ended up in a pack of 4 including Bjorn and Chris up until 6k when I surged up a hill and from there on, i was running on my own. Good practice with the drinks, I didn't take my own and ensured that I stopped at every station and had some water, I stopped and gulped. Didn't use any gu's although I did have a couple of gu lollies from Coles before I left home, they are a lemon flavour and tasted quite nice, so I may use these from now on. Pity there wasn’t someone with me for the race as I’m sure we could have then pushed each other a bit harder.

Was briefly tempted to stop at 10.55 as it was a 2 lap course and claim the glory of 1st but glad I continued. Very well organised race with accurate markings and it was great to have every km marked.

Ran in my fastwitch and once again loved them and tempted to buy another pair and run in them for the marathon, we’ll see.

Week in Summary 106.27k@4:21

Mon 10.62k@4:42

Tues Mona Fartlek session of 5.27k@3:47. 3.2k warmup @4:31, 5.58k@4:34. Total all up of 14.05k. Equalled my Mona Fartlek from 2 weeks ago.

Wed 9.35k@4:48

Thurs 20.1k @4:21 incl 4.6k@4:39, 8k@3:54 tempo, 7.5k@4:40 cooldown. Tempo run with Biscuitman, although he took off and I saw him in the distance for most of the run.

Fri 10k@4:33

Sat 8.5k@4:07

Sun 33.65k@4:09

Previous weeks with no blogging incl 82k@4:28, last week was 52k@4:37 primarily made up of running Fri, Sat and Sun as I'd been crook all week from my Melb trip after watching a few games of footy incl Eagles beat Bombers.

Epi, hope you're feeling better and will be back running soon.

Prob will do Perth Half next weekend. Now about to watch the derby, unfort another loss is on the way.

Oh and I've registered for Melb Marathon which is 10 weeks away, not long now.

3 comments:

Epi said...

Great run! You're flying right now.

Sorry about the Derby result - Swift back in, enough said.

Sling Runner said...

Congrats on the PB, Rob. I can see 2.55 coming soon in 10 weeks time.

trailblazer777 said...

Well done on the PB!!! still flying high! The year of the clown!
sounds like Bjorn is going well still...
I ran with him for first 800m of my 5k race the other week. You picked a good game to go to LeCras 12 goals etc...
another derby another...:-)

another 100k+ week, well done on the mona fartlek improvement!!! and a good long run. thats good news that you have got entry done for 10-10-10...way to go, keep going strong...