Sunday, June 20, 2010

Perth Marathon

2:59:14 Interim Result- Have finally done the sub 3, in my 8th Marathon , thought I was cursed after my fall earlier in the week and may not do it, ribs are still pretty sore now.

Luckily I hung around for a bit after the race as they'd lost the people's names of 10 race numbers and I was one of them, so had to go and give my details, wouldn't have been cool with the name of unknown number on the race results.

Looking forward to seeing Sling do his sub 3 at Melbourne.

Only a quick post as there may be a bit of rambling and it will be disjointed in places. How do I feel, sense of relief and was very pumped when I ran through the gates of WAMC and savoured the moment by getting a good couple of photo shots, there was no sprint, just a lot of yelling and a fist pump, didn't care about time as long as it was under 3. I don't think there would have been too many happier finishers.

1st half 1:28, 2nd half 1:31.

Apparently I won my age group and will get another medal and an asics bag, so pretty happy with that. Also first person over the line with the longer shorts, should win a car for that.

Not sure what my plans are from here re Marathons,Epi and I spoke about it this arvo re times etc, although it may be nice to continue doing PB's, this is my 8th consecutive one, I may do C2S with him, def do Melb with Sling and trace is talking about me doing Boston again, we'll just wait and see. I think there is a bit of improvement left in me, but not sure as to whether that is the direction I'll follow at this point in time.

Felt pretty controlled throughout the race, which was nice, aerobically felt really good, just ribs, quads, whole race (think I tightened my bandages too tight) and calves in the last 3k were sore. Got passed by a couple of guys at 30k mark and then passed a few in the last 10k or so, without being passed. Legs feeling a lot better now after a massage and a walk this arvo.

Didn't drink much today, only about 600ml when they handed me my drinks, left them at every station but didn't want to lose any time looking for them and had no snakes or gu chomps, something maybe I need to work on in the future.

Thanks to SG for today, much appreciated mate and also in no particular order to Epi, Sling,TB, Homo, Biscuitman and Sugar for their ongoing support.

Congrats to Strands Team for winning relay, Biscuitman, Sugar and Simon E, awesome effort. Also congrats to Attitude for his awesome 2.37 and 2nd place in his debut Marathon.

Awesome effort by Epi doing 3.11 on limited training, glad to hear the leg is a lot better, to Gunner for a 3.19 after being crook and to TB for doing another Perth Marathon and his trademark start and finish.

Will prob take a week or so off, then ease back into it, cutting my half and 10k times may be on the agenda over the coming months, as well as some track work with the guys in the summer months.

Looking forward to seeing how Biscuitman goes in the Marathon and David Bryant in the half at Gold Coast, good luck guys.

Over and out, a sore but very happy clown

7 comments:

DB on the run said...

great run mate good celebration

Sling Runner said...

I reckon you are on course to break a number of PBs this year (half-mara is one). Also, do not discount running 2.55 in your next marathon based off your 10k PB.

Epi said...

Great effort!
The floodgates can open and, as Sling says, I'm sure you have a 2:55 in you - depending upon what you want to focus on.

For the moment, savour the achievement, Jackson's awaits!

Biscuitman said...

Well done again Rob - well deserved - enjoy it!!

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations! well done! well deserved. When Epi and I saw you going under the bridge, and again when I saw you on the way back had a feeling you were on track for it. Determined attacking running. Way to go! Enjoy!!!

I think there is plenty of improvement there too if you want it. Sub 3 hour club. way to go!

Anonymous said...

Well done Clown.

A job well done.

Gunner

Clown said...

Cheers Guys