Sunday, February 7, 2010

Need to start getting the long runs in

Another pretty solid week of running although a bit disappointed with my long run due to my hammies screaming from the start and not easing up. Also lost 1.4kg for the week so well on my way to 67kg mark aimed for Boston.

Week in Summary 76.1km@4:41 Weight 69.8kg

Tues 12km incl 10km@4:24 2k@4:46

Wed 8.05k@4:57. Also another vist to the physio who has given me some more exercises to do and avoid doing hills for a few weeks.

Thurs 15.5km incl Tempo run of 8km@4:04 with Biscuitman along the Penninsula course. Splits were 4:04,4:04,4:09,4:05,4:12,4:02,4:03,3:51. More controlled effort than last week and a very enjoyable run, glad to see the progress is continuing on these type of runs.

Fri 8.55km@4:40

Sat 12km@4:42

Sun 20km@4:53 Ran from Matilda Bay. Hammies were very sore from the start and as a result this was a real struggle today. Humidity was 93 at the start and I went through the powerade in 12km. Plenty of walking and stretch breaks along the way to try and stretch out the hammies but to no avail. At least I wasn't tired after the run at all :).

Bit disillusioned after todays run, I feel as though I'm starting to tick a lot of the boxes but I need to start getting some proper long runs in. Not sure why I was so sore today, maybe from doing more exercises and only having a 12 hour break between runs may have played a part. I'll just have to stay positive and trust that things will come together, I'll give this week 8/10.

Off to the footy Friday night to see the Eagles play Essendon with the guys, looking forward to seeing some of the younger guys play. Bit worried that the West is building the Eagles up to much for this year, I'd be happy if they can sneak into the 8.

The dilemma on the running front is what to do for Point Walter, should I try and do a fast 5km next week or do the 16km as a tempo style run?

3 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Nice tempo run on Thursday. Seems that your tempo pace improves week by week!

Good dilemma you have there. The 5k and 16k offer different training benefits. One is intense, while another is prolonged hard effort. Either way, you'll have a blast.

trailblazer777 said...

Sports Chiro helped me with hammy problems last year, exercises and treatment seemed to do the trick. Maybe check the shoes. Could be an imbalance/BioMech thing, or due to climbing hills, or some type of stretch that has tweaked things. Also the 12 hour break certainly could be the culprit being a short break between runs. Humidity might have been a big factor too, did the right thing by trying stretchesm and walk breaks, I'd advise trying sports chiro and/or physio, have 24 hr break beofre next long runm stretch well after your runs, consider crosstraining options, think about the course you are running on, does it have too much uphill on it? and also rememeber that one day its a problem 2 days later it might be fine...some injuries come and go...maybe try cycling for some of long run, i.e. run until hammys are sore, then ride the last 1 hour on bicycle....
anyhow hope my ramblings help.
sounds like the tempo runs with BM are going sensationally!

all the best with it, good to hear you are coming to Melbourne again.. The Worst always pumps up the wce to a massive degree...so long as they dont read that rag they will be fine...

Clown said...

Thanks TB, my sports physio is very good and I'm sure things are heading in the right direction. Just very frustrating that the Hammie/Piriformis that has been a problem for years is still playing up.

A couple of good runs and I'll be over the moon again :).