Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tough week

Been a bit of a tough week both from the work front and also the running with me reinjuring the extensor on my right leg that ultimately caused the missing of the Canberra Marathon earlier in the year. Luckily I noticed the signs earlier on this time and hopefully by easing back on the load and speed will be of great assistance.

Week in Summary Running :92k@4:39 7h9 min Cycling 1h10 min.

Tues pm Physio session and then 9k@4:34. Injured my leg here when running 1 Yasso 800m at Yokine Reserve this time. I've decided this place is a curse for me as for some reason I always struggle no matter what I'm doing there and it is now on the banned list.

Wed pm 10k@4:48


Thurs pm 14.5k@4:39 Had a bit of a shocker at work and this reminded me why I love running so much, what a great stress release it is. Conditions were not pleasant but I seemed to thrive out there

Fri am 8k@4:33 pm Cycling

Sat pm 14.5k@4:34

Sun am 36k@4:42 Quite an enjoyable morning for running with hardly any rain or wind to speak of, yay. Ran from Matilda Bay and included the Maylands Loop again which I really enjoy running. Extensor was quite uncomfortable for the first 25k and then the usual suspects the piriformis and hamstings came into play and they were sore. Took a few stretch breaks along the way to try and free up the legs and very happy when I finished. Actually walked the last 1.5k to the car instead of making it a 37.5k run. Happy that the pace was pretty even throughout and finished feeling very fresh apart from the aching legs, so a positive sign there.


Have a physio session Tues and Deep tissue massage Friday so will def get a lot of work done on the problem areas. This week is supposed to be an easy week in the leadup to Freo Half but if the legs feel ok, tempted to do the Yasso session I missed, will prob run about 50kms leading up to Sunday.

Will be interested to see how Freo Half goes next Sunday, will def test the drinking from cups and may also reintroduce the stretching at some of the stations as I'll definitely be employing this tactic at Melb. Have three soft targets as I'm really not sure where I'm placed sub 1.26 very happy, sub 1:27 happy, sub 1.28 a pass, anything more than 1.28 and I'll be as happy as I was seeing Collingwood win last night.


On a side note Boston plans are nearly finalised for next year, Nepal is less than 2 months away and Melb is now only 4 weeks away, I think I better start to panic.

4 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Still another excellent week, especially the 36km. All the best with the Freo Half. Hope the Physio can fix the problem areas for you...The hay is in the shed, all you have to do is make it to the start line in one piece and the sub 3 hr is a chance...Obviously the reps stuff i.e. the 800's can help make sure of it, but if its a choice between trying to find a few extra minutes with the reps, and getting the injuries right and having a slightly longer taper, I think the latter is wiser. Youve been close to sub 3 form all year, you are not going to lose too much of that in a few weeks...So be patient,assured, go cycling if necessary, and maybe try the 800's again when you are ready, but don't worry too much, you are pretty close to ready...its a good course and an inspiring atmosphere, the opportunity is all yours..

Biscuitman said...

it's a tricky time just before the taper isn't it? I'm going to try to err on the side of caution re speed work in favour of keeping volume up until the taper. Every little niggle is a worry at this stage. Collingwood are gone next week but I hope they give Geelong a hard game to soften them up for the Bullies in the GF.

Epi said...

Poor old Biscuitman, he's really deluding himself re the Bulldogs isn't he.

Hope you manage to keep your body in check in the next couple of weeks.

Sling Runner said...

Rob, I envy you re: Nepal and Boston. Nepal unlikely since wife is a non-sport person, while Boston must wait until Sling Jr ready to tackle long-haul flights.

Good luck re: Freo